WASBE Worldwide Winds
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 1
Boardmember Joop Boerstoel (NL) in conversation with composer Christiaan Janssen (NL).
CAPRICCIO by Christiaan Janssen. Live recording (with score examples and art-work).
Wind orchestra : Harmonie L’Union Heythuysen. Conductor: Erik Somers
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 2
July 2020 (Janis Purins, Latvia)
Latvia–Land Where People Not Only Sing But Also Play
Interviews with Astrida Kenina, Guntis Kumacevs, and Andris Vecumnieks
Performers: Latvian National Armed Forces Army Band, Orchestra RIGA, University of Latvia Wind band, and the Kokle Ensemble “Cantana”
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 3
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 3, August 2020 (Colleen Richardson, Canada)
Interview with Canadian composer Don MacDonald and transcriber Mark Hopkins, including a complete performance of Tabula Rasa (Blank Slate).
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 4
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 4, September 2020 (Joseph Cheung, China / Hong Kong)
After backgrounds about the Chinese characters by Joseph Cheung,
composer Simon Yau Yuen Hing speaks about his composition ‘The Story of Cao Xueqin’.
Cao Xueqin was a Chinese writer during the Qing Dynasty and he is best known as the author of “Dream of the Red Chamber”, one of the 4 great classical novels of Classic Chinese literature.
He wrote this famous novel in a suburb called Xi-Shan (West Mountain) as his home, near Beijing. The background of the novel was in Jiang-Ning (the old name of the current city Nanjing).
The composition was commissioned by the Beijing Culture Development Foundation.
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 5
Boardmember Andrea Loss (IT) in conversation with composer Franco Cesarini (CH) about Symphony Nr. 2 ‘EDO’.
Edo is the ancient name of the city of Tokyo. The composition is divided into five movements in arch form. Each movement takes its title from a print from the ‘One Hundred Views’.
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 6
WASBE Board Member Jukka Viitasaari is representing composers and compositions from Finland. Featuring Lauri Porra, Jukka-Pekka Lehto, the Helsinki Police Symphonic Band conducted by Sami Ruusuvuori and the Lapland Military Band, conducted by Tero Haikala.
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 7
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 7, January 2021 (Vaclav Blahunek, Czech Republic)
◊ Czech Music History (Fucik, Dvorak, Mahler, Martinu, Nelhybel, Husa)
◊ Interview with Czech composer and conductor Jan Zastera
◊ A recording of The Czech Heavens, cycle of saint cantatas by Jan Zastera
◊ Invitation to the WASBE 2022 Conference in Prague
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 8
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 8, January 2021 (Emily Moss, United States)
– Interview with American composer, Alex Shapiro
– Conversation about Electroacoustic Music and Diversity in Classical music
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 9
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 9, February 2021 (Björn Bus, The Netherlands)
○ Interview with Dutch composer Johan de Meij about the influence of COVID-19 on his work.
○ Interview and presentation about Symphony Nr. 5 “Return to Middle Earth”
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 10
• WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 10, March 2021 (Reed Thomas, USA)
○ Interview/conversation with British composer Nigel Clarke.
○ The inspiration and collaborative process surrounding his First Symphony, “A Richer Dust.”
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 11
• WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 11, April 2021 (Stéphane Delley, Switzerland)
○ Interview/conversation with Blaise Héritier, Conductor of the Blasorchester Siebnen.
○ The origins of, and musical excerpts from, Oliver Waespi’s Silberen
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 12
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 12, May 2021 (Miguel Etchegoncelay, France)
-Interview : A composer’s portrait – Annette Schlünz (Germany)
– Her career, her background, her mentors, presentation of her new work for Accordion and Wind Ensemble
– A full recording of Schlünz’s chamber work Dehors, performed by Nestor Álvarex (Bass Flute), Xavier Muñoz (Bass Clarinet), and Martin Mion-Mouton (Percussion) at the Strasbourg Conservatory of Music (France).
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 13
• WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 13, June 2021 (Darrell Brown, USA)
○Interview with American composer, Erika Svanoe
○ Her compositional aesthetic, with a focus on The Haunted Carousel, Steampunk Scenes/Suite, and Mary Shelley Meets Frankenstein: A Modern Day Promethean Tango.
○ Includes audio excerpts from: the University of New Hampshire Wind Symphony, Andrew Boysen, Jr., conductor; The Ohio State University Wind Symphony, Russel C. Mikkelson, conductor; the Ignis Saxophone Quartet; and the Minnesota Symphonic Winds, Timothy Mahr, conductor/Erika Svanoe, guest conductor.
○ A complete performance of Mary Shelley Meets Frankenstein: A Modern Day Promethean Tango by the Carroll University Wind Ensemble, conducted by Darrell Brown.
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 14
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 14, July 2021 (Franco Hänle, Germany)
o Interview/conversation with German composer Hubert Hoche: Contemporary Elements in Wind Band Music.
o His career, his background, excerpts from three works, and a conversation about his Solo Concerto for Marimbaphone and Windband that will be premiered at the WASBE Prague Conference 2022.
o The video includes excerpts from four of his works:
• MELANCHOLY MOMENT performed by the Polizeiorchester Bayern, Prof. Johann Mösenbichler conductor (opening credits)
• BACK FROM THE OTHERSIDE performed by the New Ears Wind Band Project, Hubert Hoche, conductor
• NEBELBILDER performed by the Nordbayerisches Jugendblasorchester, Prof. Ernst Oestreicher conductor
• X-WAY performed by Marta Klimasara (Marimbaphone and Percussion) and Carina Levine (Flutes)
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 15
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 15, August 2021 (Colleen Richardson, Canada)
○ Interview with Canadian Composer Jonathan Dagenais
○ Documenting his chronological compositional aesthetic, through: Symbiopholie (2009), Polytechnique (2011), Mouvement Frénétique (2018), and Spring March (2022)
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 16
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 16, September 2021 (Janis Purins, Latvia)
• Interview with Lithuanian composer Kazys Daugela (his career, his background).
• Excerpt from Eduardas Balsys’s Andante Cantabile for Birbyne and Orchestra (arranged by Kazys Daugela).
• Featuring soloist Major Egidijus Ališauskas.
• Conducted by Kazys Daugela.
• Commentary by Major Egidijus Ališauskas, Chief of the Lithuanian Armed Forces Band
• A complete performance of Kazys Daugela’s St. Casimir Choral Fantasy (performed by the Lithuanian Armed Forces Band).
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 17
• WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 17, October 2021 (Joseph Cheung, China/Hong Kong)
○ Joseph Cheung introduces the British born composer, Nicholas Smith, who has been living in Beijing since 1996.
○ Composer Smith describes the inspiration and compositional ideas used for his piece An Englishman in Beijing (JC Link Music).
A complete performance performed by the China Dunshan Symphonic Wind Orchestra, conducted by Adrian Schneider.
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 18
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 18, November 2021 (Joop Boerstoel, The Netherlands)
Interview with 3 generations of Belgian composers: Jan Van der Roost, Kevin Houben and Nick van Elsen.
Includes the following musical excerpts:
• Lux Futura – Kevin Houben (Royal Military Band Johan Willem Friso, NL; conductor Tijmen Botma).
• I Colori della Gioia – Jan Van der Roost (HL Europe Concert Bands).
• Alter Ego – Nick van Elsen (Don-Paul Kahl, Baritone Saxophone).
• Palindroom – Nick van Elsen (Koninklijke Fanfare Kempenbloei; conductor Ivan Meylemans; World Music Contest Kerkrade, NL.
• The Lost Labyrinth – Kevin Houben (Concertband Maasmechelen; conductor Mark Prils; Fenna Ograjensek, soprano).
• Spartacus – Jan Van der Roost (Royal Military Band, NL; conductor Pierre Kuijpers).
• Sinfonietta “Suito Sketches” Part 2 : Sword Dance – Jan Van der Roost (Aulos Sinfonisches Blasorchester; conductor Jan Van der Roost).
Thanks to Hal Leonard Europe, Vlamo Belgium and WMC for
using fragments of registrations on YouTube.
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 19
• WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 19, December 2021 (Andrea Loss, Italy)
○ Italian band Music between the 19th and 20th Centuries
○ Interview with Fulvio Creux, director emeritus of Italian Army Band and Italian Fiscal Police
○ Includes the following musical excerpts:
• Movement 1 “In Belgio: sfilata di artiglieria pesante tedesca” from Pagine di Guerra – Alfredo Casella, transcribed by Alessandro Celardi (Scomegna Edizioni Musicali srl)
• Movement 1 “I Pini di Villa Borghese” from Pini di Roma – Ottorino Respighi, transcribed by Antonio D’Elia (Banda della Guardia di Finanza; conductor Fulvio Creux; Teatro alla Scala, Milano, 25/4/1986)
• Fantasia Eroica op. 33 per banda – Francesco Paolo Neglia, modern adaptation by Fulvio Creux (Banda dell’Esercito Italiano; conductor Fulvio Creux; Sala Sinopoli del Parco della Musica, Roma, 11/4/2008)
• An excerpt from Andante con Marcia – Padre Davide da Bergamo (Arsnova Wind Orchestra; conductor Fulvio Creux; Chiesa Parrocchiale, Strambino, 26/6/2020)
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 20
· WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 20, January 2022 (Jukka Vitasaari, Finland)
o Program notes for Between Three Worlds for Violin and Symphonic Band by Finnish composer Timo Alakotila.
o The composer and conductor introduce the piece.
o Full performance by The Helsinki Police Symphonic Band; chief conductor Sami Ruusuvuori; Violin soloist: Eeva Oksala.
· Helsinki Rock Church 11/5/2021.
· Publisher: Fennica Gehrman.
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 21
/// Listen to the full recording “Military Tatoo over Prague” here: /// https://youtu.be/dtI-COT6tOE Military Tattoo “turn off the tap” / Zapfenstreich / Cepobiti / over Prage Interview with Dr. Josef Sebesta, music historian – manager Importance of Dramaturgy for symphonic band Reconstruction of music the Military Lights-out from the Bohemian history
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 22
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 22, March 2022 (Emily Moss, United States)
○ Interview with American Composer and two-time WASBE Composition Contest Winner, Gregory Fritze.
○ Discussion of his background and compositional process.
○ Descriptions and excerpts from his two Composition Contest pieces: “Pershing” (2017) and “Waterplace Park” (2019).
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 23
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 23, April 2022 (Johan de Meij, The Netherlands/USA) – Composer and WASBE member Johan de Meij introduces two new compositions that he wrote during the pandemic in 2020: – The Painted Bird – A Cry Against Fascism (Amstel Music, 2022) – Rotterdam 1945 – Overture for Wind Orchestra (Amstel Music, 2021)
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 24
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 24, June 2022
Premiere performance of Synergies by Annette Schlünz,
Concert Piece for Accordion and Wind Orchestra (2022)
Date: June 12, 2022
Marie-Andrée Joerger, Accordion
Miguel Etchegoncelay, conductor
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 25
WASBE Worldwide Winds Video No. 25, January 2023
Conscript Band of the Finnish Defense Forces performs
Finlandia by Jean Sibelius
This video also includes details about Finland’s military bands,
the make-up and duties of the Conscript Band, as well as information
about Jean Sibelius and one of his most famous pieces, Finlandia.
Become a Member Today
Members receive a host of benefits by joining the WASBE community, including:
Exclusive Access to the Member Directory
Electronic Magazine and Journal Editions
You Make it Possible!
WASBE is a non-profit organization. Our events and service are only possible with the support of donations and volunteers